Best Practices for the Artist Fundraising Pick
Explore your options for how to utilize our new fundraising feature.
As we described in our Artist Fundraising Pick launch post, just like you can select any piece of music to highlight on your profile as an Artist’s Pick, you can now highlight a fundraising destination, in addition to your Artist’s Pick.
Here, we’ll be breaking down how the Fundraising Pick works for each of our fundraising launch partners — Cash App, GoFundMe, PayPal.me, or Music Relief organizations — noting some best practices and examples. Any payments take place on third-party sites, and Spotify takes no cut of the transaction in any way. We’ll keep this post updated as we add new fundraising options in the future. And remember to review our Safety Policy and FAQ before submitting your Pick.
- Cash App is a payment platform (available in the US & UK) that allows you to receive money from anyone around the world. On Cash App, you are identified by your “$cashtag” which is the unique username that is used to send or receive money.
- Cash App is a great option for you if simple fundraising for yourself, your crew, or your team is what you’re after.
- 05/04 UPDATE: Thousands of fans have already supported more than 10,000 artists through Cash App alone on Spotify and, as a result, their additional $1 million USD contribution has been fully reached. Those $100 payments will be completed to eligible artists within the next 30 days. Of course, artists can continue to use Cash App as their Artist Fundraising Pick.
- We’re particularly excited about our partnership with Cash App, as they’ve generously established a $1 million relief effort for artists during these challenging times. Spotify for Artists users that submit their “$cashtag” username as their Artist Fundraising Pick — and secure at least one contribution of any size through Spotify — will receive an extra $100 in their account from Cash App, until a collective total of $1 million has been contributed. The $100 will be deposited in eligible accounts after 30 days.
- In order to be eligible to receive this contribution from Cash App, artists must designate a $cashtag to receive payments, either from an existing Cash App account or by signing up for a new Cash App account. Cash App artist contributions shall be applicable to artists based in the United States and United Kingdom only, but Spotify listeners located all over the world can still make contributions via Cash App. You can view the full legal terms here.
- Cash App takes no cut of the transaction in any way.
- You can download Cash App on iOS or Android. If you have any issues, visit their Help Center here.
- GoFundMe is a social fundraising platform that allows people to raise money for individuals, causes, and organizations. You can use GoFundMe to raise money for yourself, for your team or crew, or for a charity. To start a GoFundMe, click here.
- They’ve got some handy tips on making an effective fundraising page you can check out here. In summary:
- Storytelling is key: Keep it personal, don’t feel a need to make the ask overly formal. It’s OK to use photo and videos in your story.
- Be specific: Describe how you’d use the funds, what this would mean for your career. GoFundMe have shared that a description of 400 words or more are the most effective.
- Keep your donors updated: Show what their donations mean to you and the impact it’s making for the cause.
- You can also search for charities that are set up on GoFundMe here. If you want to fundraise for a charity that does not have their own GoFundMe page, and you’re in a country where GoFundMe is available, you can set one up on their behalf and GoFundMe will help ensure that funds reach that charity. You should review Spotify’s Artist Fundraising Pick safety policy before selecting a charity, or your Fundraising Pick may be removed from Spotify.
- GoFundMe is available in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States.
- There’s no platform fee to use GoFundMe, and all donations are protected and guaranteed. The industry standard credit card processing fees of 2.9% plus $0.30 per donation do apply.
- On getting paid, you must withdraw your donations within 30 days of your first donation. Once a withdrawal leaves your account, it will take 2-5 business days to arrive (weekends and holidays do not count as business days).
- If you have any questions about GoFundMe, you can visit their help center here.
- PayPal is an online payments system that supports online money transfers. By creating a PayPal.me link, you can share it with anyone to easily receive money via PayPal.
- Paypal.me is a great option for you if financial support for yourself, your crew, or your team is what you’re after. If you do not have an account with PayPal, you can sign-up for free at PayPal.com or in the app.
- It’s available in many countries around the globe, including the United States, United Kingdom, Indonesia and more (see here for full list). PayPal doesn’t support this type of PayPal.me payment in some countries. If you’re based in one of these markets, don’t use or promote Paypal.me for your Artist Fundraising Pick or it’ll be removed: China, Argentina, Bahrain, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Jordan, Malaysia, Mexico, Nicaragua, Oman, Panama, Peru, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay.
- PayPal’s standard rate for goods & services payments of 2.9% plus $0.30 per domestic transaction may apply. Fees are subject to change. Currency conversion fees may also apply for cross-border payments. For information, read more.
- Use of PayPal is subject to PayPal’s User Agreement and Acceptable Use Policy that is applicable in your country.
- For artists in Australia: When you add money to your PayPal account for the first time, you’ll be required to verify your identity through PayPal’s Customer Identification Program. If your identity can’t be verified, you may not be able to access funds.
Spotify’s COVID-19 Music Relief Project
If you’re interested in raising money for organizations that provide direct relief to artists around the world, you can select a verified Spotify COVID-19 Music Relief organization. For a full list of partners, see here. When you select a Music Relief charity, donations made directly through your Artist Fundraising Pick will be eligible for Spotify’s $10M USD matching fund.
Each of our verified artist support organizations from around the world help direct money raised to music industry professionals in need.
— Spotify for Artists